Monday, September 22, 2008

Whole and Part

We're working right now on what should be one of the easiest thinking maps -- except, it's not! It's called the Brace Map, and you can see an example of it above. The Brace Map helps students deal with the idea of whole and part. Now this strangely seems to pose difficulties for students. They have problems separating things into component parts which can be put together again. The Brace Map always deals with a tangible object, never an idea.

The assigned topic for this map in the Thinking Maps curriculum is "My Best Outfit." I've discovered that the boys really HATE this as a topic (well, most of them) and some of the girls do, too. It was a hard one for me when I was doing the training as well. (You may have noticed that your child's teacher is not the nattiest dresser on the planet.) So I decided that "My Favorite Meal" would do just as nicely. And that one was easy for me!

Homework: (1) Finish the Brace Map about "My Best Outfit" or "My Favorite Meal". Be sure to break each category down into its component parts as much as possible. Then do a rough draft of a paragraph on this topic. Be sure to add descriptive language. Your rough draft should be one full page, front side only, skipping lines. It can be longer. (2) Do "Parentheses", pages 56-57 in the big Math book, numbers 2-27 only. (3) Also do the same lesson in the math Problem-Solving Workbook, page PS17.

No comments: