Thursday, September 18, 2008

Children Playing

Thursdays is Art day in room 19. I picked Thursdays because it seemed a forlorn day -- no Tech Center, no drama, no Library, not even any PE! Yet Thursdays have become one of my favorite days because of Art.

This afternoon we did a particularly nifty art lesson. We began by looking at a couple of pictures, particularly on by Pieter Breughel called "Children's Games." We discussed how the artist uses a "bird's eye" point-of-view to create a scene of dozens of children playing in the square of a Renaissance town. We discussed other points-of-view and how each can give a different sense to a scene of children playing games. We then took paper, mounted on chipboard, and went out to the playground to sketch what we saw. I was surprised by how varied the drawings were. After about 20 minutes of observation and drawing, we returned to the room where the students went over their drawings in fine tip black markers. This gave the effect of a traditional pen and ink drawing without the danger of spilled ink. I think you'll agree that the results are marvelous when you see them posted tomorrow.

Homework: I had to leave early today to look at tile for my new bathroom. So, since I had to cancel homework club with no notice, I figured the best thing was to give as light load today. So, (1) do the "Natural Resources" study guide. Just about everyone started this in class already and several finished it. (2) Also do the chapter reviews, pages 50-51 in Math (the big book, not the Problem Solving Workbook).

No comments: