Monday, November 19, 2007

Short and Sweet

Well, after the owl pellet activity on Friday today had to be a bit of a let down. But it was still pretty productive.

We did the usual reading to begin the day, and then we went over Friday's homework. I've had to become a lot tougher with the students on homework than I have had to be in the past, but I guess every year presents unique challenges and opportunities. Most students, however, are getting pretty good about getting assignments done. We also worked on our writing. I am now completely caught up with the grading of the compositions, including some fairly lengthy comments. Please check the gradebook if you have not done so lately.

We also checked our math test from Friday. These were uneven; many students did extremely well, but others scored quite poorly. We discussed the material in this chapter more extensively than we had some of the other chapters, so I rather expected this to be one of the best tests yet. I was a little disappointed.

Room 17 invited us to attend their Thanksgiving pageant in the auditorium. It was short, but quite cute and our students were polite and attentive. I was particularly pleased by how they applauded the student with autism who tried to do some of the announcing.

After lunch we discussed the upcoming math homework. Mr. Lawton then came and worked with the students on their compositions. At 1:30 the students were dismissed to the yard for "psychomotor" activities while third, fourth, and fifth grade teachers did grading.

Finally, a big thank you to the people who helped make our basket happen for Harvest Festival. I was in Chicago last weekend for a birthday bash -- a good friend hit 60 -- but I understand it was nice. I hope it was successful.

Home Studies: (1) Work Knowledge and Vocabulary page for "Ice Cream Cones" story. (2) Estimating with Decimals, Math, pp 382-383, #2-27. (3) Adding Decimals, Math, p 285, #2-30.

No comments: