Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Welcome

I would like welcome all students and families to fourth grade in the 1007-2008 school year. I think we are going to have a great time and learn some fantastic stuff this year. I am looking forward to doing some familiar activities and also trying out some new ideas and approaches.

This blog is one of the most important ways I communicate with parents. On the blog I will be giving a description each day of what we have done in class, and I will often reflect on the days events, sharing joys and sometimes frustrations. I will often show some pictures of what the students are doing or examples of some of their art work. I will announce important upcoming events on the blog, and I will end each day's entry by indicating what the students may be doing at home to further their learning. I suppose you could call that "homework" but I am really trying to get away from the traditional model of taking home a bunch of papers and bringing them back the next day. More on that as we go along.

The other critical way I will be communicating with parents in through an electronic report card. I encourage you to send me an email as soon as possible so I can give you access to the online gradebook. Again, I will be explaining more about this as we go along. My email addresses are either jbasse1@lausd.net or johndavidbassett@gmail.com.

I am having a special "Back to School" evening for our class on Tuesday, September 11. It will be at 5:00 pm. I would like to take this time to provide you with a more in-depth introduction to the fourth grade curriculum and to discuss policies and procedures with you. I hope all parents can attend.

Home Studies: (1) Sign copy of discipline policy and return it tomorrow. (2) Bring in a photograph of yourself - I mean the student here, not the parent - taken someplace in California, preferably someplace memorable. An example might be in Yosemite National Park or at Sea World in San Diego. The photographs are for a bulletin board and will be returned. (3) Try to find a shoe box and bring it into class by next Monday. We only need one for every four students, but I would rather have too many rather than too few. This is for a science experiment.

No comments: