Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Talking Animals

As usual on Tuesday, we started the day in Tech Center. We’re working on our biographies of a person who “made a difference.” Most of the students are done with their research, and they are beginning to work on the PowerPoints that will go along with their presentations to the class.

Our journal topic today – which tied nicely into our Treasures story – deal with what might happen if animals could talk. Some of the entries that were shared were great! Here’s one of the best:

I forgot to feed my dog and suddenly she barked, “I want food! I’m hungry!” I jumped and looked at my dog. She was still barking and she said, “What are you looking at, huh?”

I hurriedly got her food and pinched myself. It wasn’t a dream. I said to my dog,” What the heck? How did you talk?”

My dog replied, “Duh, dogs are smarter than humans.”

“Prove it,” I said.

“Okay, what’s 28 times 63?” I started to slowly solve it. “It’s 1,784 my dog said. “I did it faster than you can.”

“I don’t care!” I replied.

“Well, I care,” my dog exclaimed. I started going to bed and my dog said, “Hey, where are you going? Wait up!” as she followed me.

I slept for a long time. When I woke up, I said to my dog,”Talk.” She didn’t talk. I have no idea how it happened….

Our story from the reader was called “Mystic Horse” and it was the retelling of a Pawnee legend about a boy and his talking horse.

The students were given some time to work on finishing their Science packets, and over half of them are done and have turned them in. We will be taking the Science Periodic Assessment tomorrow. We also finished Topic 6 in the math book today, and so they will be having a quiz over that tomorrow as well.

We finished the day with our reading buddies in first grade,

Homework:  (1) Write all spelling words 2 times in cursive. Write sentences for words 6-10. (2) Do “Sequence,” page 121, “Sequence Chart,” page 122, “Table,” page 124 and “Homophones” page 125 in the Practice Book. (3) Do the “Two Times Two 2” worksheet. (4) Do “Problem Solving” on page 150-151 and “Test Prep” on pages 152-153 of the math book. Also do “Something’s Missing" on the back of the answer sheet.

Tomorrow students may bring candy to share if they wish during the last hour of class. However, we are not having a Halloween Party and under no circumstances are they wearing costumes.

No comments: