Thursday, November 12, 2009

Picture Day

Today's big event was school pictures. This went pretty painlessly this year. There have been years when we stood for over an hour in the auditorium waiting to get our pictures taken, but this year we were in and back in only about 20 minutes. And that included the class photo. They gave me a copy of the preliminary shot so I could identify students for the yearbook. I hope I don't have such an idiotic grin on my face in the final selection, but I am not hopeful.

Class Photo002

Otherwise, a pretty uneventful day. We work on sentence combining skills, and we checked, corrected and discussed homework. We did independent reading and responded in journals. We slogged through a particularly long selection in the history book about the Spanish colonial system, but that was important since we should be going to Mission San Fernando Rey de Espana next week. Permission slip to follow.

Homework: (1) Do the spelling word search. (2) Write sentences for each of the spelling words. (3) Do the “Adjectives” and “Ad-lib” worksheet. (4) Do the “Multisyllabic Crossword” and “Connecting to Theme” worksheet. (5) Do the “Settling Alta California” study guide. (6) Do “Expressions with Parentheses,” Envision Math, pages 122-123.

Students can substitute a box of food or a can of food for the food drive for assignments (1) and (2). One contribution for each excused assignment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My kid will bring a case of food if it means no homework :)

-Alysoun

Unknown said...

I didn't even know about this deal but had bought bags of food from Ralphs...so Kate got two assignments less than she normally would have. Who knew? I just thought I was helping some nameless person at a shelter but I actually helped Kate escape some work!