Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Not-too-hard Day

First of all, let me thank all the parents who were able to come to last night’s meeting. Of our 31 families, we had representatives from 21. I know not everybody is able to get the time away from working to come, and I will send home some information with those students. A big collective thank you – I’ll send proper notes home soon – to the families who have already contributed to what I like to modestly call, “The Campaign for Room 19.” (Thank you to Yale University for the idea.)

The students were thrilled that all my preparation for the meeting had kept me away from the photocopier! I think they considered this a “not to hard” day. Still, we did lots of worthwhile things today, even if homework is quite light. (I told you it would even out!) We continued working on cursive letters and reviewing verbs. We read and discussed “Mrs. Frisby”, the first story in the Open Court reader. We used post-it notes to make our predictions as we read through the story, and then the students made a little T-chart of these before they went to recess.

Predictions

After recess, we checked our math homework and we started, but did not finish, a chapter on the history textbook about water in California.

After lunch, we worked on the Double Bubble Map which is used for comparing and contrasting. The students started a short composition about “My Friend and Me” and some of them will be finishing this up for homework tonight.

We went out to PE where we did our rotations. I will be ordering the new supplies very shortly and we will be getting started on the EPEC fitness program. We came back from PE and did math.

Homework:  (1) Write sentences for the 20 spelling words. Two words may be combined in one sentence if it makes sense. (2) Do “Make a List,” Envision Math, pages 16-17.

No comments: