Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Blog’s Back

Last week I came in and my monitor was not working. I had had some problems with it earlier, and when I fiddled with the adapter power cable it had worked just fine. This time, I went to touch it and nearly burned my fingers. I ordered another adapter – computer parts, like those for Studebaker automobiles, have a long life on the Internet – and it arrived today. When I turned the monitor over to remove the old adapter, I found it absolutely charred. I am surprised that it did not set the room on fire. I am even more surprised, though pleased, the the monitor still works.

All this, I suppose, is offered an excuse for being such a bad blogger in the last few days. But, dear readers, I was thinking about all of you. And, as proof, I snapped this photo during Friday’s freak rain storm. Ah, but the students enjoyed that one!

DSC04903

Today was pretty low-key. We did a good bit of work concluding our Open Court Reading unit. We reviewed subject and predicate, which will be on the Checking Skills part of the unit test, and we discussed and worked on dependent clauses. We took the Comprehension part of the test, and we started to read “One TV Blaring and a Pig Outdoors,” the final reading selection in the unit. We checked our math homework.

We ended the day on an interesting note. We went to see Caroline Arnold in the auditorium. Ms. Arnold has written over one hundred books for children, mostly non-fiction. She did a fascinating presentation and then answered questions from the students. Thank you Mrs. Koneff for arranging this for our students.

HomeworkIt returns. (1) Do the Unit 5 Spelling Jumble. (2) Do the Unit 5 Vocabulary Crossword. (3) Do the division practice worksheet.

3 comments:

Joan Stewart Smith said...

Mr. Bassett, did you have to bicycle home in that surprise rainfall last Wednesday? We should have offered you a ride.

John D Bassett said...

I timed my departure carefully so I missed getting wet somehow. How wonderfully odd to get rain in June, though.

Joan Stewart Smith said...

Yes, that unforeseen cloudburst definitely conjured up a "delight in disorder." Stewart loved it.