Thursday, June 18, 2009

Almost Over!

As the year has been winding down, there hasn’t seemed to be as much to write about. We’ve mostly been keeping reasonably busy with this and that, but nothing all that special.

Until today….

Today was a farewell activity, and what a fantastic time it was.
We started with a scavenger hunt. Just before recess the students were divided into teams, and each team was given 45 minutes – first and second recesses – to go hunting for the items on their list. Items ranged in points from 2 to 100.

DSC04909

As they found items on the list, you could sense the excitement. Water bottles, for examples, were one of the easier items to find on the list.

DSC04910

As the students did this, Akiko and some helpers filled up water balloons outside the library.

DSC04914

After recess was over, the teams points were totaled up. It was amazing how much stuff they found! But that wasn’t the end of the games. No sir! We returned to the yard where we had a variety of relay races. In one race, the students had to jump rope to a cone and back and hand off the jump rope to a teammate.

DSC04920

The best activity of all, of course, was the water balloon toss. That was my favorite until … well, until I was dumb enough to say that the wettest person was the winner. At that point, 27 students aimed water balloons straight at me! I’m still not quite dry.

DSC04926

Once we had cleaned up the little bits of balloon from the yard, we returned to the class where we had an amazing feast. Chicken, mandu, beef liver, spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, salads … if you weren’t here, let me assure you it was way better than most restaurants!

I would also like to thank the class for their generous present. Believe me, particularly after losing my summer school job, the cash will be very handy this summer!

I will miss this class so much. You have been wonderful students and great parents. I better quit writing before I get tears on the keyboard and short something else out…..

HomeworkI don’t think so….

5 comments:

Joan Stewart Smith said...

There are tears all over MY keyboard after reading this. 4th grade has been a very special year for Stewart. We will all miss you!

Stewart Smith said...

We'll miss you so much, Mr. B!

P.S. Mom, if your keyboard is short circuited, how can you type?

Joan Stewart Smith said...

Stewart, I didn't short circuit the keyboard because luckily I turned it upside down and shook all the tears off!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a wonderful year. I think it ranks with the best one yet. You captivated and inspired and taught independence. Have a great summer. We will miss you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Bassett! How are you? Hope you are having a great summer. You were the best teacher of all and I miss your class! See you next year! Love, Mimi