Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Spatters of Learning

A pleasant day for me. Maybe a bit of a laundry day for one or two moms. But more on that later....

We began with Independent Reading. We check, corrected, and discussed the crossword puzzle. We took the first part of the Open Court Test and the results were pretty good. We'll be taking this over the next few days. (Many of you may be aware that UTLA has called for a boycott of these "periodic assessments." On our grade level we decided to give all the assessment and correct them, but not to report them to the district. There's some educational benefit to these tests, though probably not enough to justify their costs.) We also did the second chapter of By the Great Horn Spoon!

We watched the second installment of the PBS American Experience The Gold Rush. Again, the study questions really helped focus the students' learning. After lunch, we corrected our math homework and discussed it a bit. The students will have a test over fractions tomorrow, and I'm cautiously optimistic.

We ended the day by painting our masks. We did this outside, and right now the patio by room 19 looks like we had a paintball competition. It will all wash away with the next rain, or whenever I get ambitious enough to find the hose. A couple students decided that a Jackson Pollock treatment was what their masks needed. At least one managed to spatter himself as much as his mask. It was a good picture I missed. I hear it was an irate mom I missed, too....

Homework: A big disappointment for you homework fans out there, but it's just a simple math worksheet tonight. We are skipping spelling this week because of the OCR testing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do I have the distinct impression that the teacher LOVES having all that colorful paint spattered outside his classroom?

Anonymous said...

Did cleaning up mean skipping your meeting? THAT would have been pleasant.

John D Bassett said...

Well, I sure love it outside more than inside. And I figure I have an instant reward for the next couple days. You finished your work early? What can you do? What you like to clean up outside? With large buckets of water?

I did have to go to the meeting but it was better than usual. We had some PE people from the district who led us through some cute activities. Most were more for primary students, but they were still fun.

Anonymous said...

Sorry that Paul and I can't take you up on your instant reward deal. We've already been working like dogs because we just finished the Oscars. But see what you can do about recruiting the lil' one ...

John D Bassett said...

Some people will never understand how much fun it is to whitewash the fence....

And don't you mean working for dogs? At least at my house, the humans put it long hours to provide a large house and yard for dogs who do NOTHING except ask for walks and food. And look cute, of course.

Anonymous said...

You knew that Stewart just finished reading that chapter in "Tom Sawyer?" Or didn't you? (Twilight Zone music)

Your dogs are your children, of course. We do everything for them. And they look cute, too.

Paul insists that he saw you walking your children when he was photographing Kate Winslet at the Ebell last week.

Paul Smith said...

Actually I was chatting with a friend in the car park opposite the Ebell when I saw you walking your dogs. If I had been better prepared I would have shot off a couple of quick paparazzi pictures!

BTW, do the kids ever wear protective clothing when doing the messy art work? I remember when I was at school we used to have to bring in one of our parents' old shirts to wear over our clothes.