Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Back to School?

First of all, let me say what a pleasure it was to meet so many of you again (and a couple of you for the first time) at this morning's Back-to-School Breakfast event. It was pretty informal in room 19, but we did give people a chance to sign up for December conferences. If you did not get a chance to stop by and sign up, please feel free to come by the room and put your name down for the best time available. Alternatively, email me and let me know what day and time (for example, Monday or Wednesday first thing in the morning) works best for you.

As far as the rest of the day went, well, it was OK. I imagine most parents probably think that these short days for teachers are something we enjoy. I mean, start school late, end early - what could be better? In reality any minor changes to the schedule leave children restless and make concentrated work difficult. I've learned that this "Back to School" day is right up there with the day before Thanksgiving in teaching difficulty. So I did what we usually do on those days, and kept things pretty simple and structured. So, it was all fine, but I was glad when the final bell rang and so I suspect were the kids.

We did our Independent Reading, and a little follow-up on the "Two Tickets" story. After recess we did a cute art project (pictures to follow tomorrow) and took the math test in the afternoon. A good day, but they were all watching the clock for that final bell and so was I. Tomorrow, we will have, in the immortal words of President Harding, "A Return to Normalcy."

Home Studies: (1) Do the Work Study and Vocabulary and Drawing Conclusions sheets for reading. (2) Do the Science questions. This section starts on page A46.

No comments: